what is a security patch?
A security patch is a small piece of software which fixes and ‘plugs’ any vulnerabilities, bugs or other problems on your website which could pose a security threat.
why do I need security patching?
New vulnerabilities are being uncovered in website software all the time; automated bots are constantly active across the internet searching for software weaknesses. Any ‘holes’ in your site can be exploited, possibly enabling hackers to access clients’ data and payment information, send out spam, or make changes to your site, with severe consequences.
6 simple tips for security patching:
- Check your website software is up to date and fully supported
- Apply automatic updates so that any general patches are implemented as soon as possible
- Ensure you and your users use strong passwords (with unusual character combinations) to access your site
- Encrypt your site data using HTTPS
- Test security patches first to ensure they don’t introduce new problems, such as disabling features or reducing functionality
- Ensure all devices you use have adequate security and anti-virus protection