IOM3 – Complex System Integration
The Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining (IOM3) wanted us to help them rebuild their website and integrate it with their bespoke CRM – ‘Concept’ by Advanced NFP. Having formed out of a number of mergers and with roots dating back to 1869, IOM3 have very complex internal operational structures, systems and processes, and a disparate and dispersed membership. The project was therefore a complex digital transformation piece which touched many areas of the organisation and interfaced with numerous internal and external third party systems.
IOM3 had recently attempted an unsuccessful integration with another supplier, so we knew it would be important to fully explore the implications of each step of the project, making decisions together with the client. We enjoyed an excellent partnership, working extensively to explore how to deliver a fully-integrated solution that would deliver on all of their complex requirements from a strategic perspective.
IOM3 also required an updated website presence with full user experience and graphic design work, as well as a complex data and content migration between two CMS databases.
We ran the programme of activity in two distinct cycles. One project focused on the website user experience, design, build and development, which was relatively straightforward. At the same time, the second hugely-complex CRM integration project was carried out, involving much more consideration for dependencies and organisational disruption.
We facilitated a number of critical phases of consultancy with IOM3 and third party suppliers to scope out the development of a bespoke CRM API toolset, defined and facilitated testing phases, and migrated thousands of pages of restructured content from an old CMS tool to a new and improved toolset. This dual approach enabled progress to be made on two fronts simultaneously whilst still ensuring that a robust process of consultation, technical scoping, stakeholder alignment and testing could take place in continual cycles.
The website was delivered to the set timeframe despite numerous technical challenges and the complexities of working across suppliers both in a consultancy and technical build capacity.
- The new site is now integrated for the first time with IOM3’s bespoke CRM tooling
- Membership processes and systems have been interrogated and analysed, putting the organisation in a much stronger position to streamline and build for the future
- The new website presents a fresh new online brand, optimised for viewing across devices and with a vastly improved user journey
- Back-office workflows have been improved, bringing in efficiencies and reducing unnecessary working practices
- The new website tooling is now more user friendly and powerful for administrators
- The depth of technical insight gained during the project empowers the internal team, paving the way for future phases of digital change which will now be easier to make in a more efficient and effective way.
The new website has also seen some huge improvements in performance:
- Thousands of users have registered and created a personal profile on the site, as a stepping stone to becoming full members
- By requiring existing members to log on and update their profile (in order to enjoy the new site functionality), member log-ins have increased 100 fold(!), facilitating member engagement
- Organic traffic has doubled due to the SEO features on the new site
- Visits to the homepage have increased by over 17%
- Session duration has increased by over 35%
- Average pages per session has increased by 11%
- Bounce rate has reduced by 13%
The new website has allowed us to present our activities in a much more visual way, give identity to our activity groups and make use of the great images that represent our industry sector. All in all that makes for a much more attractive site. We’re also pleased with the flexibility Drupal 7 gives us to manage and present our content, and in the back end the ability to manage users and view user data is very valuable.
– Dr Nuna Staniaszek, Director of Communications at the Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining
SERVICES PROVIDED FOR IOM3
- Digital consultancy
- Web design and build
- Drupal development
- System integration
- Responsive/mobile web design
- Ongoing management and support
- Ongoing Drupal maintenance
- Membership web services
Do you need to integrate your site with a back-end database or system? Or do you need help with other areas of website development and design? Get in touch to find out more about our services.
We’re also thrilled that this project has been showcased on the Drupal.com site.
The Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining (IOM3) is a membership organisation with over 18,000 members. The organisation's activities encompass the whole materials cycle - from exploration and extraction, through characterisation, processing, forming, finishing and application, to product recycling and land reuse.
Integration of the new website with the organisation's bespoke CRM tooling (Concept by Advanced NFP)
Comprehensive interrogation and analysis of the membership processes and systems
Fresh new online brand
Optimised user experience, including site navigation and user journey
New responsive website design
Improved back-office workflows for efficient working practices and expanded toolset for website administrators